[RC] Allergies and distance horses? - Kristi Schaaf

Hi- I have a 5 yoa Arab that I am starting to put some
LSD on. He's got many attributes for distance riding
(perfect hooves, lots of bone, 28 resting heart rate,
etc etc), but he has allergies. He often gets runny
eyes and a runny nose (they seem to coincide with the
times that I need to take Claritin), and for the last
month he's had very lumpy lymph nodes under his jaw
(equine vet poked and prodded them, didn't seem
concerned). I'm not so worried about the allergies as
related to distance riding, per say, UNLESS they are
connected to his current breathing pattern, which I
don't like. You know how a young, nervous horse can
sound kind of whistly or take shallow breaths while
going down the trail, like they're too nervous to
breath correctly? Sam sounds like that, without the
stress that a nervous horse shows. He doesn't gasp for
breath - he just never seems to take big GOOD breaths.
He doesn't pant or seem uncomfortable - he just sounds
gawd-awful. Do any of you have horses with breathing
affected by allergies? If so, have you been able to
control it enough to participate in distance riding
with that horse? What supplement/regime/etc do you
use? I suppose I should just bite the bullet and have
the vet give him a full lookover, but you guys are a
virtual storage facility of horse health logic, so I
thought I'd start with you!
Kristi and Sam (who has a crappy immune system - he
has melanomas as a 5 yoa!) in Iowa
iluvdez at yahoo dot com

=====

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com