[RC] mares - Kathie Ford

Well hum..interesting posts on mares.  Since I have six horses and they are all mares guess I have to say something!  lol

I love my ladies and as I acquired them one by one, I never "planned" on only having mares.  It just ended up that way.  Infact I have three mares that are related.  Mother, daughter and granddaughter.  They are very very sweet, people oriented horses, very loyal, and very thoughtful of their owners (my daughter and I).  The other three are unrelated; one adopeted, one free given to my daughter when she was 9, and one we bought.  Three are full arab, one is a pinto/arab, one is a mutt! lol (giggle-we have been told that she's either anglo-arab, or NSH/TB-she's 16'1), and one is a QH; and just as sweet too.  I just love taking care of them, riding them and just hanging around them all!

I may have been lucky cause they are all wonderful horses ranging in age from 4yrs to 24yrs.  None have ever acted "marish"; none have caused us problems.  And all have been wonderful teachers of both riding and life in general!

I find that they are very hard workers when put to a job, love being out and all seem to appreciate a partnership with a human.  They all get along nicely in the herd to.  We just got the 6th one a few weeks ago and she was accepted very quickly.  I was surprised as the five have been together on our property for 3 years now.  But they took her in and seem to treat her pretty good.

I once audited a week long John Lyons clinic and  he  mentioned that personally he liked stallions first, mares second, and geldings third.  He said he felt due to the "hormones" of both the stallions and mares; if one can channel that into something positive work or schooling wise they have the potential to really give you their all and be very enjoyable.

I just find that folks have their preferences based on their experiences.  I really don't like to stereotype either.

I would love to have a gelding if I needed another horse.  I'm not confident enough to desire a stallion; but with that being said I'm very happy with what I've got (or we've got as a family) and feel quite blessed as they have all enriched our family life and lifestyle.  Sometimes I take them down the street to a neighbors to run and play (our pasture is drylot and on a slight slope) and I come home and it feels empty when they are not there!  When we bring them home hours later sometimes-there is life and joy again on our property!  It's great!

I learn something new from them everyday.  I find their personalities very fun and enjoyable to be around and I will love them as long as I'm lucky to have them.  So maybe it just boils down to temperment and personality too.  Who knows!  Just hug your horse and smile inside!

Just my thoughts to share,

kathie