Re: [RC] [RC] mares? - Laurie Durgin

Good news----, I noticed not many endurance horses are mares and with me finally turning pasture ornament Honey into a riding horse---(yeah, she has a job now!!) I do notice not many mares listed on rides? Why is this? , anything I need to be careful of? Believe it or not I can't tell a difference in her in her heat cycles.Only when we get a new horse around or when the ponies and babies came, did she ever act like a mare! Only saw her 'wink' maybe 4 or 5 days in the last 4 years. I have always been glad she didn't act marish. She does have that ," I'm not really with you look in her eyes" sometimes. She is 8 now, and finally I can ride well enough to train her.(Rascal taught me that).Since he is lame, and recovering from epm ,I finally am getting serious with her. She just was more horse than I should have owned. But we have worked on trust and groundwork for some time. She was just "spooky and inclined to 'get out of dodge'fast.And you had to introduce anything new ,slowly and in small steps. Make a good 'mustang, she would. But she finally listens to me and obeys (well usually) quick learner, smart, opens stall doors, whinneys at the truck for days after a horse comes in or out of our place.Knows some words like Rascal.Learns something new the first time or two.Just don't be rough with her.(no she was never abused, just l a pasture ornament and some groundwork.But in some ways she learns faster and is more trusting than Rascal. Being shod was a major training session.
And she takes care of herself real well.She looks at food and gets fat. I cut her1 cup of grain out and give some beet pulp instead (like 2 cups wet.) so she thinks she is eating. I have to llet her out last at meals as she will open the other horses stalls and stick her nose in their food. (Rascal knows her as they were raised together and he will actually try to bite at her,if she tries to open his door. But if I put the clips on the door locks, she 'checks" them.If the clips are on , she doesn't 'bother" to try to open them,but if they arent' clipped she goes right at them.(I set her up one night and watched her).
Had to put a hotwire over the walk thru gate, as she pulled the latch up , and picked up the drop chain.
Say 'carrot"she stops dead, and turns her head around.(ah, my version of operate concitioning, or clicker training, --carrot pieces the first couple times on a new learning cycle ,then intermitantly, with a 'good girl" as my clicker.Decided, it was more portable, didn't have enough hands for reins and a clicker.)
Some more ring work, then I try to get someone to take either Champ ,(temp.leg injury) or Rascal (when his foot is better and he can do a 30 min trailride again) to take her out , hopefully this fall.If not I could always take her 'hiking" a half dozen times ,then ride he on the trail (lots of monsters, couches, junk, 4 wheelers, deer, turkeys, high tension lines,etc..Then maybe a year of trailriding and take her camping to some rides, and she can make her debut.And she is good looking enough , they won't ask me, 'what is she?: like one vet did to Rascal ("yes he is actually a reg. arab mostly cmk, yes his back is really short, and he is built like a barrel.And yes his slow trot is sitable, but you do learn to post fast to his fast trot or 2 pt.")
Guess I need to look up "Mares" in the Archives now. Laurie and (Honey Crescent Moon),Rascal. Scout

T)

Hi Mary,
I am answering on ridecamp, because it might help others. My vet told me some mares actually get sore (ovaries) when they are in heat. This area is up by their loins, so perhaps she is sore when you ride her?

I have had many mares and I just love them. I was a dyed in the wool stallion rider for years....but now that we are into training endurance horses and I have ridden so many different horses, I find that mares definitely have their merits!

I did have a horse once that seemed to get back sore...very seldom...and it did seem to be tied into her heat cycle. It would only last about two days..I probably would have never made the connection if my vet hadn't said something and we started palpating her back every day.

Hope this helps.
Louisedigy.net/firedancefarms