Re: [RC] Problem Child - Prognosis - rides2far

First good squeeze with the> testers.....YOWZA!!!  A little scrape with
the> knife....sure 'nuff...the feet.  His prognosis is a
possible abscess or some sort of infection in the
hoof...probably all his feet.

Tim,
The people on my street think I'm some sort of miracle worker because I
have made several of their horses they thought had broken legs instantly
better this same way. I've read 90% of lameness is in the foot. (not
necessarily endurance horses though). I'd say 90% of those are abcesses.
This year we've had so darned much rain the hooves are soft. The horse
stomps flies. There's a little pebble. He stomps hard and the pebble
breaks through the soft surface leaving a bit of dirt. The sole closes
over it and it forms a pocket of infection. Their hoof can't expand for
the swelling so it's like putting a tight bandaid on and the swelling
causing more pressure. I doubt the hoof supplement had anything to do
with the horse not having one.

I'm in the SE too and it's been a bad year for abcesses. My daughter's
Welsh cross had a bad one that took a while to clear up. They recommend
soaking in Epsom salts but I like to coat it with Ichthammol, tape it up
with duct tape and let that draw it out. If you clear the infection you
can go right back to riding. I've had some go sound immediately but
you've got to make sure it finishes draining. I'd rather look out and
have a horse hopping on three legs than a faint subtle lameness since the
bad limping is usually an abcess and the subtle stuff lasts forever.

Make sure you've gotten the abcesses popped out before you try the
turpentine to harden or you'll just be making it harder to come out.

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!