[RC] Lucky's big day (long) - David & Maggie

For anyone who remembers my little orphan Lucky, he got to go to his first CTR this past weekend. What a little trooper!

It was the longest he's ever been in the trailer (5hrs), his first time wearing shipping boots, the longest he's ever had to stand tied (camping!), the first time he's been camping since he was a baby, the longest he's ever been under saddle, the farthest he's ever been ridden, the fastest he's ever been ridden.

The only problem he had camping was boredom. Around 3am. He solved his problem by banging Lily's water bucket against the side of the trailer all night. Picked it up in his teeth and dropped it. Over and over.

I had planned on going slow, following my friend on my other horse and coming in late (you can do that in CTR), but Lucky had other ideas! He wanted to lead and go fast! He was having a blast! He got a little excited at the halfway check and I had trouble getting his pulse down. he was busy looking at the other horses coming in. I'm not sure he'd ever seen a horse he wasn't related to!

Oh, and he had to stop and smell every poop pile we passed!
He spooked a bit at spooky things, but not too bad. He only stopped at a couple of them. Once Lily passed him he was ok and wanted back in the lead.

We cantered a bit, but we had problems there. You know, if you are young, the only way to start cantering is to give a buck first! We'll have to work on that.

He was getting tired the last couple of miles, but he kept his cheery disposition. His pulse was high at the final, but it was my fault. I rode my husband's sport saddle. It has the higher pommel and cantle than mine, so I thought I would do better with more security (I'm a chicken). The girth is farther forward on David's saddle than mine and Lucky is mutton withered, so the girth stays right up against his elbow. It didn't gall him, but it did leave a couple of puffy spots that were ouchy.

And I knew better! Never, never, never change anything at a ride! It was only 15 miles, but it still hurt my baby.

For those of you who don't know, Lucky was born 5 1/2 years ago, one month premature. His mama died 4 days later and he came to live in my laundry room. Dead of winter, couldn't leave him outside. He was drastically dehydrated, malnourished, and hypothermic. He should have gone to OSU, but money was an issue and he wasn't even mine!

Long story short, he lived, and eventually moved outside. The owner gave him to me. He's a big boy now. At least 14hh!! He has his dam's QH body on his dad's arab legs. Oh, well. He's beautiful to me.

Maggie in Ohio
Lucky--Big boy!