Re: [RC] [RC] [Guest] making horses braver - Deanna German

Steph -

I *like* my animals to be *too smart for their own good*. I'm wired to deal
with that. But I agree totally with you about the blonde part. As you can
see from my posts, I'm not wired to deal with that. My 1/8 Saddlebred mare
is very "blonde" (the chestnut gene is very close to palamino after all);
not stupid, just ditzy and overly dramatic. She comes by it honestly since
her momma (where the ASB comes from) is even blonder (even though she's a
bay pinto). Salina can stand in a pasture all day with her blanket all
wopper-jawed, with leg straps dangling around her hocks, get her lead rope
hung up on all sorts of things while standing tied, wrap her legs up with
lunge lines in training, have coolers and rain sheets slide off her back or
get blown over her head while camping, all without making a fuss, just
waiting patiently for a human to come along and rescue her. Give her an
audience and some ride excitement and she turns into a blonde drama queen.
The birdie flies and it can take some stern commands to get it to come
zinging back. I've been around lots of purebred Arabs and lots of Arab/ASB
crosses and the ones with ASB all seem to act a little blonde and the birdie
flies far and often.

About gaiting, the funny thing is, I think I could get Salina to do some
sort of a running walk with a little work if that's what I wanted. The
part-ASB brain makes me crazy, but I love the fast walk and the big gaits
that comes with it. At this CTR we just did, we followed a beautiful moving
TWH on trail for a while. He was really moving out and the next time we
walked, Salina immitated the head-bob and stride and matched his walk stride
for stride. It was cool. I *like* seeing breeds other than Arabs and Arab
crosses doing distance riding sports.

So I'm not knocking gaited horses, folks. If you're here on RC and y'all
have gaited horses, get thee to an endurance ride, LD or CTR! Just do it!

Deanna

------------------------------------

I was trying not to comment on this, but I can't resist. Saddlebreds are not
all *gaited* breeds. There is are a few five gaited stud lines where they've
been crossed with Racking horses way back, but the majority of Saddlebreds
are *not* gaited animals. 5 gaited saddlebreds bring a premium price and I
would be quite shocked to find one in endurance, just because they're so
expensive. I've seen one mare go for less than 10,000 and she was a psycho
that came near to killing a few people.

Saddlebreds do *not* think like Arabs. Everyone I've known, probably
somewhere close to 60 were the dumb blondes of horses. Every Arab I've known
was too smart for it's own good. You can (and people do) beat and abuse
Saddlebreds into doing what they want. Try that with an Arab!

Steph