Re: [RC] [RC] XP 04 - Jonni Jewell - Karen

There is
a trail out there???? <big grin> Karen??? Trail inquiry for ya!
Ask me about the roads, fuel stops, and where to do laundry, but ask
Karen
about trails. LOL

Okay, how is this for some links:  http://www.endurance.net/2001xp/  and  http://www.xprides.com/Page6.html

I would highly recommend reading Russ' poetry.  In addition, Steph has kept all of her journals (and mine too) online.  There are also other links to info on the ride here:  http://www.xprides.com/   (look near the bottom of the page)

There are also photos, of course :-).....http://www.xprides.com/2001XPPHOTOS.html  and  http://www.xprides.com/CAROLSPHOTOS.html  and  http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/Thekids/Thekids.html

As far as what I remember about the trail -- it was great.  The horses grew restless by the time we neared the end of Nebraska, even Weaver was starting to spook and to try turning down private driveways.  As soon as we got into Wyoming that changed and happy days were here again, we were on trails, going up and down hills, there were trees!   We passed so many historical places that we never grew bored, I had brought along a great book detailing pioneer graves and enjoyed being able to read about the lives of some of those whose gravesites and massacre sites that we visited.  One of the best places was Farson, Wyoming---where they had the best ice cream!   Another great place was Austin, where we all saw a television on the wall in the restaurant and looked at each other like "what's THAT?" <bg>  The group overwhelmed the town, so the teenagers who were along got put to work waitressing.  We were always able to find a Flying J (fuel, propane, showers, laundry), RV park, Wal Mart and feed stores, and places to fill up water.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV