[RC] teaching horses to be braver - Ed Kilpatrick

lots of ideas and opinions on this one.  i like what jean wonser said.  it takes lots of miles and wet saddle blankets.   and maryann, you are so right, the rider staying calm and in control helps the horse so much more than lots of people realize.  a friend of mine was riding one of my seasoned horses, we came to a small creek crossing and the horse balked.  i just told her, "get your knees out of his sides!  he is trying to figure out what you are afraid of!"  once she relaxed, the horse went right across the creek.
but on another thought, though,   a horse is a horse, doesnt matter what breed.  from shetland to shire, and yes, arabs too are just a horse.  they all think alike and work from the same set of instincts.  i have trained and worked with many, many different breeds. so just because someone rides a different breed in a different discipline doesnt mean you cant learn something from them.  be openminded.  we should never circle the wagons and shoot to the inside!  deanna, we dont disrespect you because you like to use dog training techniques with your horses, so lighten up.  nothing is gained from bashing. lets keep things on a positive note.    ed