Re: [RC] affecting the horse - Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steph Teeter" <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
It was very powerful - and really gave me a sense of how 'telepathic'
these
horses can be, especially when we just let things happen. They can pick up
on our mood, our fears, our excitement so easily!

Steph

Steph,

I am a practical kind of gal who tends to poo poo stuff like "horse
whispering and telepathy"...I have
always believed  horses just learn by habit, consistency and repetition.....

however, in my 20;s, I had a grumpy appaloosa named Silver.  Being young and
lazy, my basic way of riding was
to slip on hackamore, vault on bareback and ride the hills.  After some
months of adjustment, and changing her way of
thinking some (horse would balk, rear and spook), we finally turned into a
team, though I did not realize it at the time....
looking back I think I had a relationship with that horse I have not found
since.  I remember riding in the foothills, and just thinking, "this would
be a good place to canter", and she would immediately go into an effortless
canter, with no obvious cue from me.  I do think animals are very good at
reading subtle body language....and perhaps I did tense my seat some, but
I just remember it being more of a "meeting of minds."  I don't think it
happens with every horse, but when it does, it is truly something special.

But, getting back to your comments about if the rider is focused on
something other than how the horse is behaving, often the horse does much
better. I can think of times I was on a green horse, but worried about my
dog catching up, or coaching another person on a new horse, or one of
mine....where I had no TIME to be nervous on the horse I was riding...just
gave cues automatically, and more relaxed....and sure enough, the horse does
better too......

Another sure fire way to get comfortable on a green or nervous horse.....is
to buy one younger, more green or nervous!  Suddenly horse #1 is not so bad!
Karen

Karen