[RC] [Guest] Aussie Saddles (long) - Ridecamp Guest

Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx

Mel- I have 4 Aussie saddles.  They are real ones-2 are made by Wayne
Walker,  2 are made by Trevor James. All of them are over 12 years old. I
have a distinct difference in a couple of the 5 horses I use them on.  One
mare has a really low back, so Colin Dangaard custom fit this mare-  with
photos, as she wasn't available direct--and it works wonderful on her.  One
of the Walkers is a little longer in the bars, but it worked very well on
Sierra Fadwah, as I rode him 1470 miles and was 1988 Reserve Naational
Champion Middleweight on him with that saddle.  He also rolled in the saddle
and broke the tree.  Colin sent it back to Wayne Walker, and the saddle was
re-treed for me.  I still use it to this day, and I estimate it has over
12,000 miles on it, as I purchased it in early 1986.  The leather is still
very good, there has been no other major repairs, and I am a bum for
"cleaning" and oiling my stuff.  The billets are in great shape, and I
ALWAYS ride with a syrcingle-Aussie style-, a breastplate, and a crupper.  I
use JAYEL saddle conditioner when I do "clean" and oil my stuff. I am still
using the original girth and breastplate I got with the Walker.  One of the
James saddles is usable on 4 of the 5 horses I currently ride.  The other of
the James saddles works on the same 4.  One of the Walker saddles works on 3
of the 5 and the largest one is the oldest one, and it will fit 3 of the 5
well, but it is a little longer on the bars, as I described.

I use Toklat pads, the wool ones, and I try to keep them washed fairly
often.  I think salt/grunge/ etc causes lots of problems.  I also have a
couple of horsehair filled/woven wool Aussie pads that have held up very
well.  I have a large assortment of cruppers, breastplates, etc.  I try to
have each saddle totally rigged at all times, so I have spares.  I don't
like to strip/re-outfit a saddle every time I ride.

I do use a different stirrup leather than the Aussie style which came with
the original saddle.  Colin makes a prox 2+ inch wide, single strap leather,
which he calls the "Nelson Leather" (because of me-  bg), which works like
your belt with the buckle arrangement on the Dangaard irons he makes.  The
irons are wider and deeper, and have leather pads you can attach.  The top
of the iron has a buckle arrangement, with a cover sleeve, which is then
just buckled onto the stirrup leather. I can change the length from on top
of the horse at a walk, and have even done it at a trot. There is only one
piece, no multiple straps to pinch your legs, no bouncing around if you lose
a stirrup, and easy to recatch the iron without stopping.  Talk to Colin
about what I am describing.  I don't know if he has any closeup pictures on
his web site.  I have NEVER had any failure of this stirrup leather or iron.
They are tough.
You didn't indicate where you live.  If you contact me, I will help you
more, and if you are nearby, I will show you.  530-274-8055 in NO Calif.

For the person who asked about riding with longer stirrups:  Yes I do.  When
riding Fadwah, Jim B bugged me to shorted my leathers.  I did-  then Fadwah
shied when I was at the apex of posting, and he dumped me in the desert.  I
got back on, lowered the stirrups, and finished 7th.  The 7th place has a
long story behind it, but I still got 7th!

The Poleys at the front of the saddle saved me more than once, and one of
the times involved a ground-covering trot and a momma pig with babies.
Wouldn't be here today if not for those Poleys!!! Hope this clears up some
of the questions.  Colin also has a video tape explaining how to fit an
Aussie saddle, and how you should be sitting in the saddle.

I rode 7 different horses in calendar 1987, 5 of which I got on at the
starting line.  I wasn't pulled from a single event, and I was riding the
older Walker saddle.Sorry this is long... Karen Nelson  AERC #4299