[RC] Redwood Ride in Orick - vascthompson

My husband grew up in Orick (actually 4 miles north of Orick - really out in the sticks). His best friend's family still owns a big chunk of the privately owned lands around town - cattle ranchers. They built the rodeo grounds. When we were first married and still lived up there I was able to do a lot of exploring back in the woods. Trust me, this race doesn't see the best of it. Spectacular vistas, beautiful scenery, wildlife galore (yes, there are bears - and plenty of them - but they are usually seen at night and early in the morning). The elk are plentiful, but can be extremely dangerous during the rut (I'll take a bear over a randy elk any day). The biggest drawback is the weather ... June gloom all summer, and rain rain rain all winter. But, there is nothing more eerily beautiful than watching the fog bank roll in over the hills and into the canyons in the afternoon. When we left Humboldt, Orick barely had 800 people in it, but I understand it's up to around 1200 now. Hard to believe. While I've never been to the ride, just knowing what the area is like I'd say a trip to this race is well worth it just for the scenery alone. And if you happen to meet anyone with the last name of Zuber tell them Tori and Steve say hi.

T-