From: "Charles" <cdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <RENESPONY@xxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] buddy problem(long)

I'm going to go into Dear Abby mode and will give advice on how to deal
with
people.  I've got a lot more people experience than horse experience.
Some
of this advice I've developed from years of skiing with family and kids.
That and dealing with my older teenage son (now 20, almost 21).

My guess is that the ill will is building up.  I've seen several answers
saying to tell her about it etc.  I will disagree.  Telling her probably
won't help.  It won't slow her down.  It won't make her ready for rides.
It
won't make her treat her poor horse better.

Instead, I recommend DO SOMETHING>

Problem: She is totally unprepared.
Solution: Next time, you don't have a "thingamabob" that you can spare.
You
must have left the other one back at the barn.  She may not be prepared
because she hasn't had to be prepared or ready with "extra" gear.

Problem: She tries to ride 5 to 6 times a week.
Solution: You ride as often as you like.  If she rides more, don't join
her.
Just say "not today, thanks".

Problem: Her idea of an hour ride is 3 1/2 hours long
Solution: Tell her "I'm done for today."  Turn around and go back to the
barn and do what you want to do.

Problem: Your horse can't keep up.
Solution: Don't keep up.  If she gallops off, don't feel the need to chase
her down, or even catch up to her.  If your horse can't keep up the pace,
then DON'T.  All the advice I've read is "ride your own ride".  Also, it's
good training for your horse to see buddies and other horses go off into
the
distance.  If he's anything like my horse Jon, he won't mind doing less
work.

Problem: She busts your chops to catch up.
Solution: Don't catch up.  Go at your own pace.  If she busts your chops,
either ignore it, or say "I didn't feel like going faster".  What is the
worst she can do?  You don't have to worry about anything.  Your reward
comes from knowing your horse.  Nobody jokes about my speed when I ski,
it's
because I don't care about how fast we go down the hill.  The others ski
off
and we all meet at the end of the day and have fun.  Do the same.

Problem: She thinks trotting a horse means breaking into a canter.
Solution: Don't break into a canter if you don't want to.  Let her race
off.
So you don't keep up, big deal.

Problem: She trots off when I catch up.
Solution: don't catch up.  Ride your ride and let her be.

Problem: She wants someone to talk to while riding.
Solution: She can hang back with you.  If she wants to race, she faces the
consequence that you won't be there to chat.

By now, I've probably beaten you over the head with the same theme.
Basically, go and do what YOU want to do.  She has been manipulative and
making you play her game.  She's been setting the pace.  She's been
designing the ride.  Stop playing the game and it will end.  People either
stop being manipulated, or go on to find new targets.

If she wants to ride together, she can do some of the work of "being
together".

(If it's like my kids, it may get worse - read more chiding about how you
are becoming a slowpoke.  Don't worry about it.  Stick to your guns and
your
decisions and things will work out better).

I recommend changing your actions more than talking with her.  She may or
may not know what she is doing.  She has been setting the pace and
gameplan.
We naturally tend to fall into the habit of repeating how we've done
things
in the past, and so you may find yourself in the same situation again.  I
have found talk doesn't work in this situation.  Action works.  By
changing
our actions and responses to stimuli, we either feel better because we are
doing what we want, or the other person stops producing the stimulus
because
it isn't getting the desired response.

The other advantage of changing actions, is that you avoid things turning
"ugly".  There are no accusations, no recrimination, and best of all, no
hurt feelings.

Who knows, you may find her more tolerable when the feelings of resentment
pass.

Sorry my response is so long.  Still, I think by changing your actions,
and
doing the ride YOU want to ride, things will get better.

Charles