Re: [RC] snakebites-longish - DESERTRYDR1

Ok I can't stand it any longer, I have to tell my rattler story.  Be advised
it involves a temporarily partially unclothed female.

We ride in the desert in Eastern Washington.  I have seen a number of
rattlers, and heard a few more.  Every time I've seen one from the back of my
horse,
it's been in a REAL big hurry to escape the thundering hooves.  On this
particular occasion, we reached the turn around point in our ride, an old
homestead
with a few building foundations where we usually get off a few minutes, let
the horses grab a bite or two, maybe take the opportunity to relieve ourselves
of any excess accumulation of fluids.

So there I was, feeling the accumulation, and walked over into the tall
grass.  Pulled my tights down and was just finished getting rid of excess
fluids
when I heard that ominous sound.  Tights at halfmast, and I couldn't see the
ground to figure out where the noise was coming from, only that it was VERY
close.  I froze for a minute, then VERY SLOWLY with as little movement as
possible,
managed to put myself back together.  No further warnings, so I made a guess
that since I hadn't stepped on anything coming in, that direction was probably
safe.  I went back over to my riding partner and suggested she find a
different spot to relieve herself if she felt the need, because there was a
snake in
the grass.  We got on our horses and rode back down the hill and I never
really thought too much about my encounter...

Until that night lying in bed, wondering how long it would have taken my
riding partner to get back down to the trailer and come to get me, and how I
would
have explained the location of the bite if I had got bitten.  No more tall
grass for me!   jeri