Re: [RC] Why do I ride? - Jeannie Gillen

DITTO!
----- Original Message -----
From: oddfarm
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 3:50 AM
Subject: [RC] Why do I ride?

I ride because I can. I can because I am healthy, have a family that supports me and am at a place in my life where I have a little time and money to support my riding. I am also addicted to horses.

I like to think of it as my wealth. People who buy mansions all over the world and a collection of $100,000 cars do it because they can. That is their wealth. I will pass my wealth in the memories my kids will have, whether or not they ever have horses as adults. They will remember the camping, the traveling, meeting new people, sportsmanship at it's best and time spent with me. How much richer does one get? Fellow riders also contribute to the pot by being good role models for our kids. Independent women pulling big trailers and men showing kindness and compassion to our equine friends. People volunteering to do things for other people and animals. These are the examples we want our kids to see.
It also makes my husband John very happy when I ride. Far away. The farther, the better, the more happy he is. Hee-hee, he's so funny.

I ride also because it makes me feel empowered. I could never win the Ironman, but I might have a chance at a championship ride. I could never sky dive, or bungee jump or swim with sharks. But I can get the same feelings starting a ride at Hahira! I can run faster, jump higher, climb mountains and dream bigger on the back of a horse. There are so many things I can't do but riding horses give you more confidence than you ever thought possible. So maybe some of those things I thought I couldn't do, well maybe I could try. Except algebra.

When I look at my herd, all happy and content with shiny coats and healthy feet, I feel like I have accomplished a great deal. It's like raising kids, they are a lot of work and very time consuming but in the end you see how wonderful they turned out and it makes you so proud.

Really I ride because if I didn't, everyone around me would be living a life of hell (which I would make damn sure of ) and then I would have no one. It's always about me.

Lisa Salas, the Odd farm
Ride 'em any way you can!