[RC] Sportsaddle - how long did it take for you to get used to it? - Karen Casemier

I received my new Bob Marshall sportsaddle a couple of weeks ago. I'm still trying to get used to it - because my mare is carrying some extra weight now, and because she's a round girl to begin with, it's a very different feeling than what I'm used to (um, I used to ride a horse, now I feel like I'm riding a beer keg). I've always ridden English, and I'm also used to some kind of twist on the saddle (I'm currently using just a regular wool pad - I have a skito pad on the way - will that help at all?).

The good things I've noticed is that my mare is now much more responsive to lateral leg aids - her leg yields and turns on the haunches have gotten much better with less work from me. Transitions are also softer and more immediate. She's also much more willing to stretch her neck out and lift her back. However, she's also gotten a little "hitch" in her step occasionally at the trot - it feels like that little jump they do when the pick up the canter. I'm wondering if that is because I have more direct contact with my seat, or because I have more contact with my legs (I can actually feel her midsection swing from side to side in the trot!), or because I'm flopping around a bit.

FYI, I'm only riding in the arena right now, for about 20-30 minutes at a time (slowly getting back to riding after a long layoff for both me and my horse).

I'm just wondering how long it took you to adjust to the sport saddle. I do think I have good shoulder/hip/heel alignment in the saddle. I'm going to order a sheepskin saddle cover, which I think will help somewhat (I think the seat may be a touch big for me, and I'm used to the suede seat on my Wintec saddle, so the leather is a bit slippery). I've also taken off the stirrups that came with it, and instead have chopped off an old pair of English leathers and added my EZ-ride stirrups - that has also helped. I still feel, though, like I'm flopping around quite a bit. I'm hoping that with time I'll get more tight in the tack. I really need for this saddle to work, because my mare is VERY hard to fit, and this saddle really seems to be working for her! I must admit my ultimate relief every time I take off the saddle and see no ruffed up spots of hair. And I love putting my hand under the saddle while I ride and see no pressure points. Even though she's short backed, there have been no signs of rubbing either.

Please share your experiences, and let me know this will get better! Thanks!

Karen & Mazzie