Re: [RC] Mojave Greens - Kristene Smuts

Here in South Africa we have the most common venomous snake, the Ringhals
(loosely translated as Ringneck) - it is slate black / grey with a white tummy
and a black ring around the neck, a few centimeters below the head.  It is a
cobra type snake that stands up, sometimes with half its body (a fully grown
snake can be almost eye-height to a tall man!) and can spit venom with deadly
accuracy into the eyes of the enemy and blind him for life.  The bigger snakes
are very seldom seen these days, unfortunately.

Not a horsey "me too" story, but when I was 6 and starting school, we were busy
digging a pool and the gardener had killed a fair sized Ringneck and threw the
body into the hole of the would-be pool.  Not having a scared hair on my head,
I dumped all my school things out of my little school case and took the corpse
to school to show my teacher and other kids.  To this day I can't understand
why my mom fetched me early from school that day! <BG>  I was NOT a popular
girl in school after that.

To this day I still like creepy crawlies and get highly annoyed when people
stomp on spiders or kill a snake 'cos it was down at the bottom of the garden,
running away from everybody!

Thankfully I personally haven't had too many encounters with snakes and horses
but the most common bites are when the horses are out grazing on the farms or
other rural places.

Kristene