[RC] Shock a snakebite? - rides2far

I had the most > promising
endurance horse I ever rode bit by a rattlesnake  He is still unsound
The prognosis isn't > good....massive scar
tissue

Several years ago Outdoor Life had features in 2 straight issues about
treating snake bites with a high quality stun gun. The gist of it was
that the venom had an electrical charge and the type of electricity in
the stun gun made the venom separate to the two poles like oil and
vinegar and it became harmless. No tissue damage...nothing. It was very
controversial.

They said you could do the same thing with jumper cables. Next issue had
a letter back from a vet who had a man bring in a blue heeler that had
been rattlesnake bit on the nose and was going to suffocate or something.
Since he had read the article and didn't think conventional treatment
would save the dog he nothing to lose and suggested to the owner they try
the jumper cables. Zapped him a couple of times and the dog made a
miraculous recovery.

I know it all sounds weird but at the time I remember Outdoor Life was
very defensive about it, expected everyone to be skeptical and had quite
a few experts discuss it. It caused such a stir they did another major
feature on it in a following issue. My husband was a surveyer (high snake
risk job) at the time of the articles and called the stun gun
manufacturer. The lady there said they were aware that they were being
used for that purpose in remote areas of South America, etc. but they
couldn't recommend them since they weren't exactly approved for medicinal
purposes. >g< The magazine did point out that at that time there were
lots of cheap stun guns being sold that weren't capable of treating the
bites...you had to get the *good* one. (in other words my husband dropped
about $100 for one). I later started carrying it with me in my pack
during the height of snake season on my mountains. I made a point of
keeping the battery separate since I did not want it zapping my backside
as I bounced it down the trail. Susan, be glad you were with your
biologist friend instead of me because I would have been zapping you. >g<
By the way, it only worked on rattlesnake/copperhead type bites (pit
vipers?) not Coral Snakes or Cobras (nerve type)

It's been about 14 years since those articles were in there and I've
never heard another word about shocking a snake bite (I think it was
supposed to work for Black Widows & Brown Recluse spiders too).

So, Susan,...anybody...ever heard of such? I figure what's the harm in
trying if it *does* happen (no scar tissue Barbara)...according to the
saleslady who claimed she let them be demonstrated on her regularly
(cheap thrill?), it sounded about like grabbing an electric fence.

Angie