[RC] LD again. - Roger Rittenhouse

I was not going to comment - but after reading Jerry's' post again , I
cannot control  the key board ..

So where is the is this NON problem that is just wrecking AERC?

Lets see, a jerk butt pair of PS riders got censured for over riding in  an
LD.

The trashed treated dead horse are ?? in the 50/100 mile RIDES? NOT from
the races?

In 7 years of doing rides in the SE and doing LD plus 50 milers-  I saw ONE
LD horse on an IV.

After the major wreck Jan 02 - I have been having a great time doing LDs.
Some we just ride and some we run- race.  SO should this be a bad thing
and cause others to trash their horse  because I do it? Or cause some
undefined major problem and the ruin of AERC?

I have done ONLY one - 100 miler  after 2 failed attempts-  I have that  OD
100 silver buckle.
I really DO hope to get another one.

I have many 50 milers. A few faster then I run these LDs. So why do LDs.

They are what is RIGHT for me AND  my horse at this time.  When we are BOTH
ready for 50 milers we will move up.

Most of our 'racing times' have been about 3 hrs - sort of slow when many
50 milers here in the SE are done around 5. Fastest LD I have done was 2:30
or so ..( detail freaks check  out my record..)

Yes, we have pushed the edge a few times - to stress my horse to make him
stronger, to re-build, yes I ran with the 'front' and did a few TT this
year. I rode according to his condition for that trail on that day.
And it was great fun to go fast with a strong fit horse.
I was asked why I am still doing LDs - I  LIKE them and my horse finishes
strong and in great condition - no matter where we place. AND we use them
for a training rides and to enjoy the sport.

I dont do CTR anymore - the base line development for me and my horses is
LD. It may well be where I retire from, when it is time to quit.

We are going to do more LDs this year, a few 2 day LD30 at BSF and KY
Stampede. These are not your easy rides.
This plan will build the bottom we both need to get back to 50 milers and I
really hope to do well at the AHA NC CTR in FL this Nov. I have a plan - it
does not require I do any 50 milers.

I would rather go to 3 LDs a month then one 50 miler. I get more riding and
different trails for the time invested.
I dont have to train too hard at home.  ( at this time)
I still hurt after a 5 hr conditioning ride. Sort of like I did when I
started this sport 25 plus years ago.

I see NO reason to change anything with LD rides-- or races if you want to
call them that.
The article written is EN this month by Mr Gran  ( member of LD comm) was
more to the point and valid then the paper presented by Mr Young.

I hope the BOD and the LD committee continue with the current direction to
improve the  quality and implemention of a standardized    LD riding
program for AERC.

The LD program is NOT out of control.  Just a few jerk butt riders.
There  is NO 'real' problem with the LD program

Roger Rittenhouse 8263 SE