[RC] [Guest] LDs and Rider Responsibility - Ridecamp Guest

Laurie Underwood jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxx

I feel the need the chime in on this volatile subject.  I'm into my 4th ride
season now, and I prefer LD rides.  I came to the conclusion long ago that
my mare is not cut out for distance.  (I may not be either, for that
matter!) We do well at the LD rides and will continue to ride in that venue.
By doing well, I mean completing.  I ride for completion, and my mare and I
are mostly middle of the packers.  I've got a few top 10s (4 in 4 years) and
my horse and I didn't gain them by starting in the front or running hard.
They just happened.

AERC's motto "To Finish Is To Win" is alive and well in the Southeast.  I
believe my mare and I are living proof of that.

There are those who believe that the purpose of LDs should remain as
intended, as a format for training inexperienced horses and/or riders.  I'm
not sure why this subject continually appears as a "hot button", but I have
to say that I am happy with LDs the way they are.  I ride LDs because they
fit my mare's abilities.  We are no speed demons and I ride her in a
responsible manner.  That said, it's nice to be able to challenge yourself a
bit, and having placings, top 10s and BC awards allow for that.  Completions
are great -- they've been the bedrock of my fledgling career.  But every now
and again it's nice to place in the top 10.  I'm fairly confident that any
50 or 100 miler enjoys that feeling, especially if they are traditional
middle-of-the-packers as I am.

I've heard it said that any horse can do 25 miles.  Dammit all, why didn't
someone tell me that before I spent my spare time conditioning my horse?!  I
read one post that said that any 50 or 100 mile horse would consider an LD
ride a sprint.  Of course!  Pity the distance horse that doesn't, as he
should be conditioned for longer distances. My horse is not, nor is she cut
out to be a distance horse.  It's why I ride LD's -- because I ride
responsibly.  Have I made mistakes at my mare's expense?  Absolutely.  Who
among us has not?  I certainly have seen enough pulls among distance and LD
horses alike to know that we all fall into that category.

I have a tremendous respect for all you 50 and 100 milers out there.  I
doubt I'll ever join your ranks.  But please -- if there are those who are
irresponsible riders, don't tar me or those of us who are responsible with
that brush.