[RC] [Guest] Horse on stall rest getting too fat - Patti Kuvik

Erin...
I'm a newbie here but have been devoting a lot of time to learning about
nutrition as I have an easy keeper (air fern) mare. You might want to look
at www.safergrass.org. It's aimed at insulin resistant (IR) and Cushings
horses but is about good nutrition in general. The site owner is a forage
researcher in Colorado who's been very helpful in teaching us about hay,
sugars and forage analysis in general. Oat hay that she has tested has been
one ofthe highest hays in sugars/carbs, so might not be a good choice for
your guy. Some hay that looks like "junk" can have really high sugars and
some "beautiful" hays can test low (<15-18% NFC). I now test all my hay and
feed low sugar Bermuda free choice, looking for adequate protein and
balancing the other major and trace minerals to the results of the hay
analysis. I use a little soaked beet pulp (no molasses) instead of grain to
get in any supplements and balance the calcium in that with 2oz rice bran
per 1 lb(dry weight) beet pulp.
Hope this helps and your boy gets better.
Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ

Erin Drebis ECDrebis@xxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on monitoring the weight of a horse on
extended stall rest? My gelding is on 6 weeks of stall rest for a stifle
injury - no handwalking.

I've been giving him free choice, quality local hay (western washington) to
keep him occupied and a fistful of grain and some carrots in the evenings to
mix with his supplements - MSM, daily dewormer and Red Cell. He was already
on the chubby side (first for a former hard-keeper)before he went on stall
rest.

Any idea's on how to monitor his weight? Someone suggested oat hay or any
type of more fiborous (lesser quality) hay.<<<<