Re: [RC] Bits - bekosso

Lysane: I like big fat bosals for working young horses (late 2s, early 3s) when
their caps are coming loose. It means I can work the horse effectively without
invading a tender mouth. Otherwise, ie: starting them in ground work, I prefer a
fairly thick snaffle with a loose ring, and this is often the bit I go back to
once the teething thing is over. The bosal is limited in scope and, like all
other equipment, must be used properly - hands very low and quiet in combination
with leg and seat aids to help the horse make the transition back into a bit.
Use the bosal properly and your horse will be ready to neck rein when you get
him back into a bit. I don't know why anyone would specifically aspire to use
the S-hackamore. At the end of the day, use the bit that works for the horse. I
agree with other riders who want to bit their endurance horses as softly as
possible to protect their mouths from bruising and to limit the damage in the
event of a trip or spook. As far as eating and drinking on the trail, I'm just
as happy to drop the bit or take off the bridle. It's a psychological aid that
tells the horse he can take a rest. During the afternoon, when the horses are
generally quiet, I'll ride with the halter alone. As an aside, I prefer to ride
with a fairly loose rein - not flopping, but loose enough to allow the horse to
carry the bit comfortably without letting it bang on his mouth.

Cheers,
bkbkbk