Re: [RC] declining 100s - DVeritas

In a message dated 7/21/2003 2:29:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time, tobytrot@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Back in "the good old days" riders were smaller, in general, and
'everybody knew everybody'.  Riders all gathered around a campfire at night
and socialized.

    I remember at rides I'd be talking in a basecamp with other 100 mile riders, someone would walk up to the group, and before you knew it, we had talked them into entering the 100 in the morning.  That used to happen alot.
    A rider, saying, "What the heck, I'll do the 100, too."
    More times than not, they'd enter, ride it, complete it and we'd all have a late dinner together.
    The bigger we grow, the more we seem to limit ourselves to the little areas we find comfortable, understandable and more easily managed.
    Venture.
    -----Frank