Re: [RC] [RC] TWH/Bitless Bridle - Laurie Durgin

Oh, man we shouldn't start this. I just read a post on another board,that they asked us not to cross post. Someone who live in the middle of TW country and knows all the barns and is a professional,(I can't tell which), who has been involved in shows. They said you can't walk in some barns without the fumes of mustard oil overwhelming you. And guys carrying around cans of "hurricane',to ask them what its for. Someone they know thought a show was 'clean' and brought some people to show there .Their horse coliced,so they went late to check on it.Horses were screaming in the barn and when they went to see , they were threatend they'd get hurt if they told anyone what they saw(horses were getting readied for the next days show).They were terrified and left that night with all their horses. This person says you wouldn't believe what is under those nice leg wraps .Etc. Etc. It really made me sick.
But greed does things to people doesn't it?

Laurie/Rascal/honey/Scout

From: Merryben@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   TWH/Bitless Bridle
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:55:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2003 8:13:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
roleyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Whips, spurs, expressions on horses faces which did not look like they were
> having fun. We couldn't stay much longer than 20 minutes. Couldn't take it.

And you missed the good old days before they cleaned up their act, sort of.
Caustic substances, blood running down the legs where the chains rubbed off
the scabs and various and sundry other abuses. This is one of the reasons I
think the TWH is one of the best natured breeds in the world. I was always
surprised that they did not turn mean and kill their handlers. The old show horses
looked like frogs trying to crawl out of a jar. The worst was after the show
back in the barns when they could not stand still because of the pain.
But.......the trainers did it to win because if they did not win the owner got
another trainer and the public thought it looked just beautiful......mb