[RC] UMECRA convention, Madison, WI 2003 - Maggie Mieske

Dear UMECRA Board and members,
Nelson and I would like to thank you for your wonderful hospitality at the UMECRA convention in Madison, Wisconsin last weekend.  We basically went for two reasons...to receive an award for Malik and to hear and meet Susan Evans Garlinghouse.
I am glad to report that Susan is every bit as sweet, informative and entertaining in person as she is on Ridecamp and I treasure the short time we were able to visit.  I can't wait to get her out here to vet a Michigan ride someday and sit around the campfire with her!!!
I want to specifically thank the folks who took time to make us feel welcome and simply walked up and introduced themselves or simply remarked in passing that they were glad to see new faces in the crowd!!!
We especially enjoyed visiting with Joane Gernant who was also voted into the Hall of Fame.  She is  a delightful woman and VERY supportive and encouraging of us "newbies".  We did however, have to point out that although we would LOVE to have her visit us in Michigan, our place really is NOT on the way to the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor ride.  :)  In fact, it would be about 400 miles out of her way.  But we do sincerely hope she will come see us at a Michigan ride this year!!
I am disappointed to say that the calendar I brought with me was not that well received.  I would like to point out that although it might be an "endurance" calendar and part of the profits go to AERC Trails Fund, it is a wonderful historical document and worth purchase even if it wasn't a calendar or if it was already December 2003!!  It is NOT too late to purchase one and I hope if you haven't done so yet, that you will soon.  It's worth having one even if you don't use it as a calendar!  REALLY.
I'd also like to congratulate the numerous Michigan riders who cleaned up on awards both endurance and competitive.  WOW!  I am impressed.  Sure gives me something to aspire to!
Thanks again to EVERYONE and I can't wait to see you on the trail in 2003!!!!
Maggie Mieske
Evart, Michigan