Re: [RC] question about hackamores - Ibiteraaarr

Cutting off the breathing??

Haven't heard that one before. They're are a variety of hackamores, side-pulls,
etc that use alternative methods to bitting. Hackamores in general work by
exerting pressure on various parts of the bridle and consequently the horse's
head such as the noseband, curb strap and crown piece.

I've been riding 15 years but I'm DEFINATLY not a pro or a trainer by any
bizarre stretch. In fact, most of the time I'm leary about handing out advice
or suggestions because what works for some horses does not work for others, and
there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. I WILL tell you from my personal
experience, that I have in the last month switched my 4 year old
Arabian/Saddlebred gelding to a hackamore from a bitted bridle and I absolutely
LOVE it. Because he's young and high-spirited, I was not sure if this was a
smart move because I was completely unfamiliar with bitless bridles and I
wasn't sure if it would provide the same control of a bit. Truthfully I love it
much better and I really think he does also. I find that I can give him far
more subtle cues, and that he responds better to them. I also like that it
frees up his mouth for completely unhindered eating and drinking along the
trail.
I sympathize with your reluctance, as the riding instructor I rode with 14 of
those 15 years would have (excuse the expression) shit bricks had I mentioned
the interest in employing a hackamore. Choose what you believe is best for your
horse. If you have any friends who use them, ask to borrow one first to see if
you like it and if your horse responds well to it. Good hunting!

Liz
F'^q©©?Ƭz»âqêwn­©Üx×­?Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ´?ߢ¹?¶*'>?bs
â±ÉZ?g«?Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ·ôbuç??®nÇ+?·¿R{.nÇ+?·¡¶Úÿ
0zwn­©Üzw­þ¸?yƦ§ùh??Ú²?buâè?§u?y&?