[RC] re: riding an arab - A. Perez

Re: horse that notices everything and is nervous about things
seen from a distance: As prey animals, it behooves horses to
notice new things, so you are dealing with a pretty innate
behavior here.  Riding with others is a very good idea. Another
thing I think helps is talking to your horse. It gives him
something to attend to other than the boogies in the bushes, and
your calm tone of voice will have a calming effect.  I think
letting him stop to look for a bit is good, just don't allow
backing, spinning etc.  Once he's had a chance to check things
out, ask him to move on: but do NOT croon soothing reassurances
("Eaaaasy, eaaasssy, it's okay now, gooood boy...."): that only
reinforces the fussing with sweet talk.  Say calmly and firmy
'Enough Already! Walk On! (using the word/cues of your choosing)
in a business like tone and ask him to get back to work.

 You do not mention what his every-day living situation is.  If
he is kept stalled, or in a small paddock, and all he sees most
of the time is the same 4 walls (or the same paddock), then
pretty much everything is new.  If he's stall-kept I'd try get
him more turn-out time so he can get used to seeing stuff.   You
might try putting new and different things near or in his
paddock (flags, ballons, tarps, whirley-gigs, garden statuary
etc) so he gets used changes in his every-day environment: just
don't over do it and give the poor guy a nervous break down.
Start with one new thing, then add more in a week or so, and
give him some down-time (in his stall, perhaps) where theres
nothing new to worry him.

 For what it's worth, it ain't just those crazy ay-rabs: I call
my walking horse 'Idiot Boy' for his penchant for spooking at
his own shadow, the white line painted on the road, etc etc,
but being unconcerned by leaf-blowers, barking dogs,
motorcycles etc.  He thought the post 9-11 period was just grand
because there were all thise lovely flags to spook at!