Re: [RC] Saddle - best value & comfort? - Sullivan

--- Jerry & Susan Milam <milamj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
you must be a LW or FW? Heavier people don't do
their horses any favors by
using a treeless saddle.

JMO

Susan

Susan,

I have to remark that unless you have extensive experience with this saddle,
I am wondering
what you are basing your opinion here on?  I have ridden these saddles for
almost 10 years,
and have a LOT of friends and aquaintences (varying weights) who use and
have switched
to BM sport saddles ( partially treeless).  I have seen heavy riders
(pushing 200 lbs), with NO
problems at all with back soreness.  My opinion is that they work far better
than the majority
of saddles with trees.  I have yet to see a horse that is regularly ridden
in a sport saddle, with
any kind of white patches or spots on the back....

It's a sad fact, that you can go to any largely attended endurance ride, and
see all kinds of horses
with white spots on their backs, and also see high-mileage riders with
horrible seat position (chair position, feet forward),
and also riders bouncing all over their horses backs.

HEAVIER people are not the problem, it's BAD riders (bouncing and slamming
up and down on the back)
Bad riding position, and inabllity to balance on the horses's back or sit
lightly, will cause problems with
ANY kind of saddle, tree, or treeless!

In my circle of riding people,  have seen more back problems and saddle fit
FIXED by folks switching to
treeless saddles.  Even with heavy riders.....

I have ridden behind horses loose or ponied and watched how their backs move
up and down and side to side.
I am not convinced ANY kind of rigid tree that appears to fit on a horse
standing STILL, is going to work when a
horse is moving....ad in seasonal weight changes, muscling and maturity
changes, and you would need 6 different
trees to fit a horse over the course of a lifetime!  It's just logic!

In my opinion, more research needs to be done, with proper monitoring
equipment and new materials, to design a
truly flexible saddle that both protects and flexes with the back, and
distributes riders weight.  The sport saddle
is not perfect, but I have no problems at all with mine, with minor changes
(stirrups moved BACK, proper pad)

To those dependent on heavy rigid saddles with trees.....I ask you  to ditch
those saddles for a month, ride bareback
every day, see if your horse gets a sore back, and FEEL how much the back
moves and flexes.....
Karen