[RC] Weight on front end - Heidi Smith

>Hello Ride Camp.  I have a specific question regarding the amount of weight
on the front end of a horse during riding.  I know there is a specific
amount more weight on the front end of the horse during riding but apx. how
much more?  is it 60% - 80%?  or somewhere in-between?  Does anyone know?

STANDING, a horse has roughly 2/3 of his weight on his front end.  Moving, the ratio changes constantly.  If the horse has his hindquarters properly engaged, he may have a pretty equal division of his weight hind and fore at the trot, where the weight is alternately on one diagonal and then on the other.  At the canter, all of the weight is on the non-leading hind foot on the first beat of the stride, it is divided onto the non-leading diagonal (again the proportion variable depending on how well on his hindquarters the horse is) in the second, and all on the leading foreleg on the third beat of the stride.  I won't go into the shifting distribution at the walk, but you get the idea.

Personally, I'd hate to ride a horse that had significantly more than half of his weight on the forehand at, say, the trot.

Heidi