From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of k s swigart
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 8:04 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Recommended Reading

Crysta Turnage said:

What I'm really looking for in particular is a book that discusses in
DETAIL a conditioning program.
The ones I have now seem to touch on the subject but don't go into the
depth I'm looking for.
Things like recommended regimines, I realize each horse is an individual,
but would like a general
plan to aim for/start from.
Please include WHY you like the book you are referring, not just the
title.

Personally, (though I don't know of any) I would NOT recommend any book that
has a detailed conditioning program.  There are just too many variables to
take into consideration and too many different ways to acheive the same (or
similar) things depending on the horse, the rider, the terrain, the schedule
available....and not the least of which is, where/how you plan to ride.

A detailed conditioning program is far too individual of a thing (and needs
to be adjusted depending on how the horse responds), any book that went into
significant details would either have so many caveats so as to be totally
confusing, or it would be written by somebody who doesn't know enough to
know that they needed to make so many caveats.  In both of these cases, the
books would be virtually useless.

All that said, an interesting and (depending on who you talk to) valuable
book about the conditioning of horses is The Fit Racehorse II by Tom Ivers.

kat
Orange County, Calif.