[RC] GPS watch - Jonni Jewell

From the booklet that came with the watch:
***
Weak GPS Signal-
The GPS transceiver is losing its signals from the satellites. Move to an
area that is more open and free of metal objects.
If the signal is weak or totally lost for short periods of time, the system
has technique to maintain reliable speed and distance information.
***

I know, does not really explain how it does it....when I ride in the woods,
I it will often beep, that it has a weak signal. Our woods usually do not
last long without at least a peak of blue sky. As soon as I get some sky, I
find the watch will no longer show a weak signal. The transceiver knows your
location from where you were when you lost the signal, to where it picked it
up again. It can tell how long it took for you to get there, and the
distance between loss of signal, and gaining it again. I had trouble keeping
the signal at two rides. One that is very flat, east Texas, but VERY tall
pine trees. The other was at the Winding Stair ride in Oklahoma. Again, more
tall, thick trees. I ride mostly in an area with Oaks and Elm trees. They
are not as tall at the pines in east Texas, so they gave me more chances of
open sky.

A friend and I both rode with our watches, to measure, and put up mileage
markers on a new trail. Our watches stayed VERY close to the same reading
over a 25 mile course. They really are a great tool!

Jonni (who rode 9.92 miles today, with a max. speed of 10.3mph)