RE: [RC] Strawberry Fields ride? - Marlene Moss

Hi,
I did the Strawberry Fields ride and it was definitely an incredible
ride.  It was a little different in that a NATRC ride was held in
conjunction, but I think that worked out pretty well.  I know all the
NATRC people, so I did have a little fun pointing out that I could lead
my horse on some of the steep hills!

The area was absolutely gorgeous.  I ride at Steamboat CO a lot and was
very much reminded of that area.  I wouldn't have cared a bit if the
camp was full and I couldn't have done the ride - there was plenty of
camping down the road and the entire area is just a great place to be.

We got a great camping spot in the shade and made some new friends.  We
really weren't as prepared as I'd like to be for a 50 so I was glad that
the vet check was back in camp so I could quit if I wanted.  Wasn't sure
if I'd be doing that for me or the horse!

The ride has a little of everything - hills, grass, roads (ok, too much
road!), water, beaver ponds, bogs, rocks, and views, views, views.
Those views did make the endless uphill road worth it - 360 degrees of
mountains and valleys.

The trails were marked reasonably well.  We only missed a couple turns,
but because the ribboning was frequent, we didn't go more than 100 feet
astray.

Footing was sometimes a little difficult because you couldn't tell what
sticks were under the dense vegetation and there were plenty of rocks.
I was very glad I was using EquiPak.

My horse did really well (although I was sort of glad that a little bit
of the ride was cut out because of the difficulty - not sure if the
extra wouldn't have been too much).  My husband's horse did the ride
extremely well, but I think we enjoyed the last bit of the ride just a
bit too much for him.  He was willing the entire way with no signs of
stress.  I think either we took more out of him than we knew or else
going at a good trot and then dead stop in camp was too big a
transition.  EDPP was good on the trail and heart rate recovery was
good.  But he had us watching him closely for a couple hours.

It was a very good lesson I think for us to keep the ride close to the
way we train, rather than just listen to the horse.  My horse is very
good about letting me know when she needs a rest, but my husbands just
doesn't complain much.

But definitely a ride to do - I'll be there next year!

Marlene

Marlene Moss
Moss Rock Endurance Adventures
www.mossrockendurance.com