Re: [RC] [RC] New 30 minute rule for 50s - Long - Joe Long

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:12:18 -0600, "Heidi Smith"
<heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If a vet feels strongly enough that it should be 30 minutes, what's the
problem with letting the RM know that when they are hired, so the info
can
be passed on to the riders?

Because it isn't done because "the vet feels strongly"--it is done because
ambient conditions call for it.  There is no way that a vet can predict what
the ambient conditions will be when he/she is hired.

I would want to know of a change of this magnitude before leaving to
travel to a ride, because IMO it would be a good reason not to go.

Certainly your perogative.

I pace for my horses to recover within five minutes or less at vet
checks, but when I'm racing it isn't unusual to need more than 30
minutes to recover at the finish.  Not allowing the full hour is
incompatible with the fact that endurance rides are also a race, and
the riders must be allowed to race.

BUT it is a way to limit racing when ambient conditions suggest that it is
not in the best interests of the horses.  And that is what ride vetting is
all about.  (And what this sport is supposed to be about, too.)

Ride vets don't do these sorts of things arbitrarily.  If they did, they
wouldn't get hired back.  They do them because they think the horses will
benefit.  Again, I find it sad that one minute we're talking about how AERC
needs to do more for the horses' welfare, and the next minute we're talking
about how we can't be asked to rate ourselves when the vet feels it
necessary to impose more stringent conditions (as per the rules) for the
benefit of the horses....  <sigh>

I do not believe reducing the recovery time allowed at the finish is
an effective or proper means to "limit racing" when ambient conditions
are difficult -- just the time that horses are likely to need LONGER
to recover!

Difficult conditions are already going to force people to adjust their
pace, and lowering pulse recovery levels can force that further,
without denying riders the full hour at the finish.  I don't think
that should ever be done.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx