Nancy Mitts

From: "Heidi Smith" <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Nancy, it sounds like the rider you describe was not treated fairly,
certainly--but that's a whole different kettle of fish than a criterion
announced to all riders beforehand and applied equally to all riders.

With regard to your quote: "The finish rule states
that the horse HAS 60 min. and it's another section of the rules that says
there may be more stingent criteria." I beg to differ that it is another
section of the rules. Here is rule 6.2, which mandates post-ride checks.
It is followed immediately by rule 6.2.1, which states that "Any ride my
adopt more stringent criteria." This is immediately followed by 6.2.1.1
which states that the exam must be within one hour of finishing, and is
therefore pretty clear that the things that follow 6.2.1 are the very things
which can be made "more stringent." This is exactly the order and context
in which they appear in the rules:

6.2 Each AERC sanctioned ride must have a post-finish-line vet examination, which the equine must pass for a successful completion, the criteria to be announced prior to the ride.

6.2.1 The minimum criteria for the post-finish-line vet check are as
follows. Any ride may adopt more stringent criteria, but these must be
provided to competitors before the ride in written form. The
post-finish-line vet check is where the final criteria for completion must
be met; an equine has not completed the ride until he has passed this check.
The post-finish-line vet check also serves as a safety check to monitor for
late-developing problems (so that they can be treated if necessary) as well
as extending veterinary control over the last leg of the ride. Because an
equine at the finish line is not, in actuality, going on - and not going
into the wilderness far from veterinary aid - the standards for completion
need not be as strict as those on the trail, but they must meet the minimum
standards below. See the Veterinarian's Handbook for more information.

6.2.1.1  All Equines must stand a mandatory post ride evaluation within one
hour of finishing. Riders may present their equines for the final
examination at a time of their chooing during the one-hour period.

Heidi