Re: [RC] [RC] Endurance Rider sways vote on Declaration of Independance - Howard Bramhall

I do believe this is da guy.

cya,

Howard

On July 1-2, 1776 Caesar Rodney made a ride
that made him the Hero of Delaware!

      The Continental Congress was meeting during the spring and summer of 1776 to contemplate declaring its independence from the British Crown. The Delaware delegates included "Thomas McKean" of New Castle, "George Read", also of New Castle, and Caesar Rodney of Kent. "Thomas McKean" and Rodney were in favor of independence and "George Read" felt that it was too drastic of a move at this time.

      Rodney was busy with his many offices during June of 1776. He was after all a Brigadier General of Delaware's militia, speaker of the state assembly which had also declared him as their leader. He was alternately in his seat in congress, and at work in Delaware, stimulating the patriots and repressing the royalists. When the question of independence was raised he was delayed in getting to congress owing to the fact that, after presiding in June over the session of the assembly that had authorized support of the inter-colonial movement for independence and which virtually declared Delaware independent of the Crown, he had gone to Sussex County to look into a threatened Loyalist uprising.

      Rodney received a message from "Thomas McKean" letting him know that on July 2 the congress was going to vote on its independence from the British. Knowing that "George Read" was opposed to the idea "Thomas McKean" asked Rodney to dash up to Philadelphia to settle the issue for Delaware.

      It was an agonizing 80 mile ride through the summer's heat, an angry thunderstorm and torrential rain, over dirt roads choked with mud, across rickety bridges spanning swollen streams, over slippery cobblestone streets of the towns. There wasn't an hour to waste.

      A lone rider, suffering from a serious facial cancer and afflicted with asthma was headed for Philadelphia. All that he had worked for, hung in delicate balance: the nations independence. As he pushed northward, he must have realized he was rushing to vote for a document that well might put a noose around his neck. On he rode, through Duck Creek (Now Smyrna), Blackbird, Cantwell's Bridge (Now Odessa), past the McDonough mansion, St. Georges, Red Lion, Tybout's Corner to New Castle. On through Wilmington, Marcus Hook and Upland......finally reaching Philadelphia.

      He arrived at Independence Hall on the afternoon of July 2 during the last minutes of the debate of this resolution on Independence. "Thomas McKean" noted that Rodney was tired, dusty and covered with mud. We don't know for sure what Rodney said during his vote but he is suppose to have declared the following:

"As I believe the voice of my constituents and of all sensible and honest men is in favor of independence, my own judgement concurs with them. I vote for independence."