[RC] Barn Plans and Suggestions - Betty Demar Mueller

I have 3 horses and have decided to have a barn built to house (in bad weather and shelter from flies) up to 4 horses and a goat.  I have gotten information from Barnmaster on pre-fab barns (John Lyons approval) and have also gotten a couple of books on pole barn building.  Naturally, none of the information totally suits my needs so I need help with tips on what I should do.  I have a good uphill location with good drainage for the barn and the woods will make it less windy there.  Being in my 60's.....I don't want a hay loft which most of my pole barn plans have.  Also, I prefer a run in shelter so the horses can come and go; but would also like to have 2 or 3 stalls to place a sick or a visiting horse in as desired. Also, I want a tack room and an area to store feed.  I am considering storing the hay elsewhere (maybe a hay shelter to be built later) but can temporarily use a vacant stall. I want to hear which is best: pre-fab or pole??????? And where can I get plans with no hayloft and a run in shelter plus some stalls and a tack area.

The main questions that I have is shall I use concrete for the flooring with mats and bedding or because of the good drainage......should I just be happy with a dirt floor or is there a better idea?  My old barn (falling apart) which must be removed....had nothing but a dirt floor and I don't ever recall problems with  damp ground except during a downpour.

You ridecampers have helped me in the past with trailer, truck and horse and even roundpen selections and now I need a barn.  Luckily I have the stash, so I can afford any type of barn that I want.  I really need suggestions on how to do it right. I am sure that I will want power and don't feel that I need water in the barn since I have a strong stream nearby and the horses self water.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Betty DeMar Mueller, Equine Artist