Re: [RC] Tell Your Story - Bette Lamore

Stephanie
I can't believe a doctor who has not as yet even been able to pinpoint a disease would make such an incredibly stupid statement that you will not see your children grow up-- if you even have any---- woah!
First of all, there are a lot of diseases that make one feel like they are dying (CFIDS) being one-- yet one doesn't die. I know because I have it and with the help of a great neurologist/endocrinologist have been able to abate my symptoms.
We haven't even gotten to the matter that breakthroughs are being made every day. You haven't seen that caddie give up yet, have you. We're only months away from a cure for cancer, from what I've read.
Yes, go for your quality of life, but don't start picking out burial plots yet. One of my students when I was counselor for the disabled at a community college in CA told me that when she was in a car accident, she remembers the treating doctor telling her mother she would be a vegetable. When I first knew her, she was walking with a cane--- by the time she finished her AA she no longer needed that--- and was she bright. I could tell you other stories as well--- suffice it to say that there is only one person who knows for sure when you should stop buying green bananas and I haven't heard of Him doing any funeral pitches down here.
Take care
Bette

Stephanie E Caldwell wrote:

Julie,

The thread on treatment of horses really hit home; I've probably learned as
much valuable information from these few posts than from just about anything
else going across Ridecamp. It's something that many people, myself
included, do not want to face. In the past two years I've been pleased by
the progress of the AERC at setting up committees to investigate these
thigns, but is that really enough? And, what about preventing them before
they happen?

I've decided that despite the fact everyone tells me a newbie doesn't need a
HRM I'll have one in the next month, so I'm familiar with it before I go to
my first ride in October. We rode about 15 miles Sunday, longest ride for us
in a little over a year. Star seemed to do fine, but she was still energetic
when we got back to the trailer, I don't feel like I have any way to judge
how well she's really doing. I feel very blessed that I've not hurt Star or
crashed her metabolically, the more I think about how I used to ride the
more I realise how blessed I am.

Realizing that horses die, some of them the rider completely blameless has
been really tough on me. I'm a natural worrier, always worried that the
worst will happen. But, there's no way to completely prevent anyone or
anything from being injured or killed. Another side of that coin is if the
horse enjoys it's job it would be unfair to not allow them to for fear of
getting hurt, quality of life is almost as important to the one living it as
quanitity, that's a question I've had to ask myself lately.

About 6 months ago I strongly considered selling Star. I saw a friend's
horse go down out from under her, they both got injured pretty bad. I
decided I couldn't handle the thought of Star being injured while I was
responsible, but about that time I became ill with a chronic disease,
they've yet to pin point exactly what I have but my Drs. have told me not to
count on living long enough to see my children grow up should I be able to
have kids. I decided then that the *quality* of mine, and those that I have
control of, is the most important, not how long we live, but how much we
enjoy what we are allowed to live. Freak accidents happen, but we're all
going to die somewhere, someday, somehow. As long as we live responsibly we
shouldn't have regrets.

Thank you all for sharing.
Steph

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)