Re: [RC] Small horses and endurance riding - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Title: Re: [RC]   Small horses and endurance riding
on 7/2/03 5:55 PM, Dr. Liz Faletti, DC at efaletti@xxxxxxx wrote:

I am 5'5'' about 140 pounds, about 185 with tack.  My husband is about 185 without tack.  I have a friend who rides dressage who is adamant that Winter won't carry either of us for the longer distances.  Even my endurance riding friend thinks Winter wouldn't carry my husband.

Are we just dreaming or can this mare do 50-100 miles with either of us?  I have ridden five 25 mile rides over a 12 year period.  My other horse is a 20 year old 1/2 Arab/pinto, 14.3 hands.  She feels like riding a tank after riding Winter. Last year we did the Cascade Challenge two day 25 miles each day.  Meriqa was doing better each day. I put all this in, because I haven't ridden longer distances yet, and I don't want to ask this beautiful, good horse to do something that is going to hurt her.  I know she would make a wonderful child's endurance horse, so long as the child wasn't a rank beginner. My goals are to ride multi day rides and to ride a single horse 3000 to 10000 miles as I've heard of other people doing.

Well, my mare is small, 14.2 and very fine boned, but stronger than heck and has more heart than any horse I have ever met. I'm about 165 without tack, about 195 with tack. She has no problem and neither do I. She has done 4 50 milers so far, and been in heavy training for several years. Never been unsound or had a sore back once. She does have a nice short back though. I don't think it is too much to ask-your husband might be, but I am sure there have been small horses that have done very well. And stay sounder.

I'd take my little mare over any other horse in the world. Her heart speaks so much louder than her size. After almost 5 years with her, I have discovered that size means very little. Heart and athleticism and inherent mean much more.
Tiffany