[RC] [Guest] Trails in the Southern National Forest (long) - Ridecamp Moderator

Sharon King gatrail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I agree with Roger.
The National Forest in this area is not attempting to close all trails or established "designated" areas to equestrians. Their focus, is the management of the Forest, and this is very difficult to do, when not only equestrains, but other users continue to utilize the entire forest as their playground through the continued building of trails to allow access from private residences, the use of trails that are not sustainable, not to mention the building of "renegade" trails throughout the forest.

Anyone that has dealt with FS in establishing "designated" trails within the forest realize the process that has been established by laws such as the Environmental Protection Act, the Endangered Species Act and the hoops that must be jumped through to appease the environmentalist and government regulations in order that the FS is not open for lawsuits. Many times this slows approval of trails and cost much in funding to fight legal battles that could be used in far better methods.

We as equestrians must see both sides of the coin, objectively. The people of the U.S. (through our elected officals) placed these regulations on the FS that they must meet in order to accomplish any project within the Forest, "it's the LAW". These Guidelines also dictate access to ALL trails within the National Forest because they too must meet these specifications. So to speak, we have been getting a free ride all these years because there has been no means to enforce this, and I'm not sure if this plan passes as it is now that they will have the means to do so in the foreseeable future.

You should also look at the safety and maintenance aspects of undesignated trails, they are a management nightmare. If a rider is lost or even worse hurt, there is no simple way that the FS or rescue teams could assist, if the area is such that they can not get help to the rider <even> if they are able to locate them. Within a designated system at least you could have some means of locating a rider and getting assistance to them. Then there is the maintenance issue. Manpower and funding is limited and continues to be decreased yearly; with much more funding going to fighting fires due to the years of mismanagement to appease the environmentalist (but that is another issue). This is where equestians and other users can assist by helping maintain trails. This is a simple process, by an organization signing a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with FS or an individual signing a volunteer agreement, and becoming chainsaw certified (if this equipment is to be used).

Many equestrians in the south agree with the management plan because of the above issues,just to name a few. However, we do not agree with its implentation, and encourage all equestrians to write and express alternatives, such as phasing in the plan as more approved designated system are in place to support the greater demand that is being placed on the Southern Forest by the growing numbers of recreational users. Work with your destricts in developing plans for designated systems, offer to assist in GPS'ing cataloged trails, determining which are sustainable trails and work on proposing rerouting areas that are not sustainable. This is just a beginning, there is far more that can be done that can be expressed in one email.

Roger is also correct in stating that much can be done by working on the local level with your FS districts and their Rangers, getting to know them, expressing a desire to help and support the future of "Horses on Trails."

As far as conferences; we are making a difference. We are opening the lines of communication and developing a working relationship with landmanagers on the local and national levels. Our numbers of educated equestrian advocates are growing yearly. This can be seen by the number of southern and national equestrian leaders at the Southeastern Equestrian Trails Conference (next month in Florida, 2004 in Georgia). These conferences open equestrians eyes to exactly what a land manager must deal with in regards to trails (its enough to make your eyes bug out), and in turn land managers are learning that equestrians are actually concerned with protecting resources and working within the system instead of just butting heads and demanding our rights to access.

The most important thing is to "GET INVOLVED" first at the local level then the national level. Then educate yourself on the issues, conservation measures, proper trail design and construction, this is what land managers must look at and address. Our biggest problem as a recreational user group is that we have no unity, that we are not educating All users to the issues of trails, resource protection and conservation. No matter how you look at it, this is the wave of the future, either you are riding that wave or you will be left on the shore.

One such method of getting involved is contacting your local congressman and sentators to support upcoming bills that will change or rewrite many of the laws now established that place such strangle holds and thrones of redtape just to get anything accomplished within the Forest (some of these changes are in the works, they just need congressional support).

Let your voice be heard. But in a constructive manner.
Sharon King: Chattahoochee Trail Horse Assoc BOD,
FS Liaison/Trials Cooridnator, Ga. Horse Council Trails Comm., SETC 2004 Planning Comm.