[RC] Cherokee NF Issues - Roger Rittenhouse

Lindia M wrote::
From: "Linda B. Merims" <lbm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Restrictions in SE National Forests

This just came through on the Blue Ride Trail Riders'
newsletter:

Cherokee National Forest: those who live near or ride in the Cherokee, =
north or south, need to >sit up and take notice! The Management Plan =
calls for limiting horses to classified roads and >designated trails =
which will concentrate all the traffic in just a few areas. Many of the =
customary ->use areas will be off-limits, and trails crossing streams =
and passing through wildlife openings will >be closed. Equestrian access
=
to wilderness areas could be drastically curtailed. Riders first of all =
need to do an inventory of the trails they ride: which are designated =
and which are not?

Linda et all.. well now I have and gone and done it.

After reading this email I called the Mgr at the forest office in Cleveland
TN --45 min from home.
I am now on the horse use committee to review the polices being proposed
for horse use in this forest. We are going to meet tomorrow and take a trip
to Star Mtn in the rain to talk and go over issues and what ever comes up
This person is the Trail Rec Use mgr for this Forest in TN.

I also know the Trail Supervisor in this district and will be working with
him.

There is a major false impression - as from what I was told,.. this mgr is
a 'local TN GOB'  He and the upper management in the Cherokee Nat Forest
are NOT trying to shut down the horse trail system we now have,
The proposed wording is to try and STOP user installed trails system - that
basiclly wreck the forest.

They cannot maintain user trails PLUS the current suite of LEGAL trails. I
believe this mgr is not BSing me. He did not blow me off.. He and the staff
want input. The problem comes up - like this  posting from the BRTrail
Riders. - that lead riders to believe they are shutting us down and closing
trails.

The plan in my district is to open MORE legal managed trails, place a horse
camp at Gee Creek area called LOST CORRAL. While this is 'talk' - there is
a real plan on the table that passed the initial phases. It may never
happen but it shows commitment to at least maintain what we have.

There are no plans to take any action on this Roadless mess from years ago.
Turns out there never was 'real' plans for action in this area, just paper
tiger policy. The midlevel and grass root mgrs in this district have been
pro use active- and geared toward horse use.

I will admit - I am looking at this for my own personal agenda, to keep the
trails I ride on open and to offer user input for these trails and the
proposed and PLANNED camp area.
I have a trail clearing permit- certificate to run a chainsaw in the NF. I
do my part to cut dead fall and blocked trails.Last year due to recover
time I did nothing - this year I will get back at it.

So my focus will be to encourage the FS to open trails that they can with
funds  available and then to work (me) on trails that I ride.
I will attend meetings for planning and user policy in the other areas.

From the initial conversation, there is NO plan to close any trails in the
areas where I live or ride. I do not believe the manager was feeding me any
BS.
He indicated they want us to use the 'designated trails'
That is no problem for me since there are over 50 miles of good trails
where I ride.  There have been a few Endurance rides up here. He indicated
they want more to be run. Once the camp ground is completed we will have  a
good base camp. I will find out the time table for this improvement.

The bottom line while the Management Plan for horse use in this forest MAY
look to some as reduction of current trails, I did not get that opinion.
Wilderness access ON designated trails is not eliminated from this plan.

I was not informed of the public comment period for this plan, seems the
ranger who was on this project was moved and the links to the assorted
users was not passed on to the new manager. This new manager is willing  to
get me involved as a user advisor. He asked me  to work with the FS. I can
attend sessions and meeting during the day, anytime they want me there. I
will give it a try. If it was all a front then at least I will have tried.

While I do believe there are   those eco radicals  in the NFS who want ALL
users out, they are now under new direction forn the new boss. (Gail
Norton) It will take years to correct the damaged done by 8 yrs  of the 'no
use best use' policy. I believe, in this area, the managers are locals,
want us to use the trails systems -and  are willing to listen and work with
us. There may be other areas out side of my back yard, where there are
problems with  a few mid level  and local policy makers.
That problem can resolved though other political channels.
The problems with the forest in the Great Smokie Mtns Park is another whole
mess, I am staying out of that.

I believe just working with the district managers in my area is where I can
obtain  the best results.
I think the big conferences are a waste of my time. I can do more for the
cause, by keeping trails open and working with local staff in charge of
these trails.

A one ranger told me, a few years back they really do not have the desire
nor time to shut down the use of these trails. Nor enforce limited
restrictive use.
We shall see how this plays out, I will go and listen and learn, then
decide from there if there is a real problem.
I have been riding these trails for the last 7 yrs during the biggest
shutdown of rec use, I really do not see major problems in the near future.

Roger Rittenhouse
Tellico Plains/ Reliance  TN

ps Linda M - where you going to setup camp  in TN??