Re: [RC] [RC] Remote dog collar - Deanna German

Bette,

Your dog was "collar-wise" (just like a "ring-wise" horse who learns when
the rider has his corrective aids and when he doesn't) and congratulations,
you had a smart one who learned it in one lesson! This is another example of
why a dog must be properly trained and collar conditioned and the human
properly trained the use the e-collar. To avoid the dog becoming
collar-wise, until the dog's undesireable behavior is completely
extinguished, the dog MUST wear the collar anytime he might be in that
situation and the handler must be consistent in making corrections.

To answer your question, a horse surely could become just as collar-wise
just as quickly as your dog. It depends on the horse and how quickly they
pick up on things or apply situational knowledge.

To avoid the animal becoming wise to when it will be corrected and when it
won't, you have to teach them that there's ALWAYS the possibility. That's
why our dog wears his e-collar everytime he heads out the door to train and
that's why we run him in practices that simulate competition. It's why there
are such things as schooling shows (horses) and obedience run-throughs
(dogs). E-collars aren't allowed in dog competitions just as many horse
training aids and certain bits aren't allowed. The idea is to have the
animal training beyond what's being asked in the test. Asking a dog not to
chase is a test. You have to train him beyond that particular behavior
inhibition.

No, they don't have to be trained to it from a pup. ANY dog just needs to
have a basic obedience vocabulary first and then e-collar training applied
properly.

And all this is why the e-collar is an advanced tool. Great in the right,
educated, careful hands.

Bette, if you ever get another dog like that one or the other two, I want
him! There is no such thing as too smart in a dog or a horse! Too bad you're
in CA and I'm in OH.

Deanna

(Would it surprize anyone to know that my horse wears a big ol' nylon buckle
dog collar insted of a halter?)

-------------------------------------

Bette wrote:
I zapped our Australian Shepherd (full grown when we adopted her) and she
rolled over and disappeared for three days. When she came back we did not
see her chasing the horses so we thought it worked--- that is, until we came
home one morning from brunch and spotted her chasing the babies. She had
learned it only works when she can see us (and vice versa). We found her a
good home and my husband mourned--- she was a great dog but the risk was too
great. If you condition a puppy early, it could work but we went through
three Aussie's/Border Collies before we gave up--- my husband loved the
breed--- so smart---- TOOO smart!!! I can't help but wonder if Arabians,
being so smart, could figure out the "out of sight--- out of danger"
principle, too ;-)
Bette