[RC] differences in vetting and pulls - Steph Teeter

I've ridden in most of the US - and have seen a lot of variations in vetting
strictness, within every region that I've been in. I've seen vets that I
consider too strict, and vets that I consider too lenient - and everything
in between. It doesn't seem to be a regional difference. Generally a horse
that has completed a course is allowed a little more lattitude in the 'fit
to continue' criteria.

(From rule 6.2.1 "...Because an equine at the finish line is not, in
actuality, going on - and not going into the wilderness far from veterinary
aid - the standards for completion need not be as strict as those on the
trail, but they must meet the minimum standards below.")

IMO the difference between vets extends to metabolic as well as lameness
issues. Some vets do a CRI at every trot-out and are much more willing to
pull a horse or warn riders when horses have poor scores on specific
veterinary parameters, in particular CRI/recovery and gut sounds. Other vets
use a 'keen eye' or 'gut feeling' to evaluate the horse's overall attitude.
I had one vet that seemed to barely glance at my horse during an exam in a
100, I felt a little miffed at the lack of attention. Later during the hold
we were talking and he mentioned that he watched me walk into the vet check,
the horse pulsed down as soon as we walked in, and he was bright and eating
everything in sight. So - different styles. Other vets will spend 5-10
minutes going over every inch of the horse.

This difference is bit of an issue, espcially when things are at stake -
such as year end points and miels and championships. We take great pains to
ensure a level playing field - rules of competition, etc. I think we might
want to focus a little more effort on developing a more consistent, or fair,
system of DQ. At the FEI championship level, a horse that is questionable is
re-evaluated by 3 or more vets. For this very reason. I've had conversations
with some of the WEC selectors, where it was acknowleged that some horses
were being pulled for negligible gait aberrations, and some were being
granted completion with more obvious problems. At this stage in the WEC
selection game, a pull (or completion) can make all the difference.

There are certainly more pressing issues in our sport - this isn't a Big
deal. But it is one of those low level grumbly things...

Steph