Re: [RC] insurance for ride managers - Equine Law Online

Some insurance companies do not cover volunteers at activities sponsored by
non-profit organizations because of federal, and frequently state, protective
statutes.  Under federal law, an unpaid volunteer at an event sponsored by a
non-profit organization cannot be sued, although there are exceptions.  The
insurance company's argument is that since they can't be sued, we don't need to
cover them.

Some insurance companies also don't cover the organization for any inuries to
volunteers, basically determining that they are participants and excluded from
coverage.  As with anything else, you get what you pay for with insurance, and
careful reading of your policy is important.

Two examples are a client who approached me about their policy for coverage of
their trail rides.  Included in their policy was an exemption for any injuries
caused during trail rides.  In effect, they had no insurance.  The second
example involves a friend who asked me about the wonderful deal his son got on
his car insurance.  I explained that the policy was below's the state's
recommended minimum, and had a policy limit that would be exceeded by the time
an ambulance took someone to the emergency room for a broken bone ($10,000
liability coverage).  He decided that his son needed to stop shopping the
discount insurance companies.

Jim Clark-Dawe

www.equinelawonline.com
Free Catalog! The world's leading source of quality riding apparel and
equipment at Dover Saddlery.

http://www.doversaddlery.com

Free Email brought to you by EquineSite.com, the leading website for the New
England Horse Community. http://www.equinesite.com