[RC] Spot-On Fly Repellents - Tara Guest

My friend and I bought a spot-on (think it was
Freedom) last summer. She went out to the barn that
afternoon and applied it to her horse as directed,
then hand grazed him for an hour to make sure it
dried. The next morning, he had swelling around his
eye the size of a tennis ball - no visible cuts,
scrapes, etc. The vet came out and examined him, and
was unable to find any evidence of trauma so she
flushed his eye and gave my friend some ointment to
put in it twice daily for a week. The vets best guess
was that her horse had rubbed his face on the back of
his front leg (as lots of horses do on occasion) and
gotten some of the highly concentrated fly repellent
in his eye. The back of the knee is one of the
recommended application locations. After her
experience, I opted to return mine and buy some spray.
More expensive, but not as likely to cause a reaction!
(The vet told us that she had seen several different
apparent reactions to the spot-ons - some horses are
just too sensitive for the concentrated formula.)

Im sure the spot-ons work great for lots of people -
Im just not willing to chance it. (I already give my
vet a large enough percentage of my paycheck!) The new
Mosquito Halt works really well too - but Stateline
just dropped their price on Endure until July 14th.

Tara in Texas