[RC] In the Spirt of Education re Patti S - Roger Rittenhouse

As posted by Patti to Rc

Subject: [RC]   [Guest] In the spirit of education ... our weekend with a

On Behalf of Patti Stedman

I thought I'd post to the gang about having our horse treated at the
Flesherton 50 this weekend.

Patti - no email for you direct.
First-  my sincere condolences. As for one who has gone where you have
gone, I know  just how you both felt.
Its the worst gut wrenching experience in 30 years of this sport  I ever
had.

Second,  I commend your willingness to make this situation public. It is
very difficult for those of us who have many miles and many years to take
this action. It really takes one down a knoch or two.

Your analysis was right to the point. There is no real way to know how one
horse will respond to the test compared to another.
Horses with heart and a 'can do attitude'  will surely do them self in,
which makes it more of a responsibility for us to read that horse better
then the others that will just up and quit. I rode 2 that would let me know
when enough was enough. The one I crashed years ago, just wanted to keep on
going.

I read him so much better these days.

You have it right about  slight build horses - there is not much reserve.
I also think the elyte protocol for this horse was a bit light- You figured
that one out.
Perf-Win has to be dosed about 2 to 3 times HIGHER then ENDURA-MAX.

I have had problems with Endura-max causing mouth burns and scalding with
one horse and I suspect in hind sight cased the current horse to not want
to eat or drink later in the ride.
I no longer use that.

I think what comes out of this type of learning experience, is no one is
invinecable. We can ALL crash a horse no matter how much we think we know
or how well we care for them.
Something can and  WILL go wrong.

I was so very careful the next ride I did, I though I would colic before
him.

I did scope for ulcers. I would recommend that. A blood test now may be to
late, but I did it anyway
A check for worms may be in order also. I did it all.
I wanted to make sure nothing caused the problem other  then my failure to
manage him correctly.

I dont think you ride with a HRM?  ? May have been extra data. When we
crashed, I was working at HR higher then normal for the speed we were
going. Post analysis and self review I did note slower on trail recoveries,
but wrote that off as we were moving up in the pack this time.  Something I
do NOT ignore anymore no matter how he thinks he is doing. I back off and
let him down then move up again. He lies to me but his HR numbers do not.

I know you Patti - think we may have ridden together at rides? way back
when I lived in PA?. You will get on with it and take him to another ride.

I went back 3 weeks later to an easy ride and took a  LONG time with lots
of stops and longer vet check periods. He did fine and has not looked back
since.

Thank you for sharing and educating all of us.

Take care
Roger Rittenhouse 8263