Re: [RC] [RC] Tell your story (long) - Laurie Durgin

that. No
pawing, no anxiety--the vet thought she was perhaps a very stoic mare. She was
euthanized at about 3 a.m., approximately 12 hours post ride. A necropsy showed
she had a ruptured stomach, not intestine. This is comparatively rare.

My non-professional assessment is that I let her eat all night before the
ride, she gorged at lunch and then I asked for continued physical exertion on
an overloaded stomach. But it is also highly possible that there was a
pre-exisiting condition that I was not aware of, perhaps genetic as her grandsire
died of the same thing.

Could a horse gorge/overeat of it's own volition?What I mean I think is can a horse not know when to stop?Could there be a physical,chemical/genetic reason that a horse keeps eating past the 'danger zone".Therfore should we limit even roughage amounts when under exertion? I know they can overload on grain,etc., but could say a horse be so 'greedy' , ill, ,predispossed to 'overeat' that certain horses should be limited. In other words how much is too much under exertion?
The above story seems unlikely to be able to be a controlable issue. How much is too much? One horse has a 'good full ' signal' and another doesn't, How would you know?Is it like people ,"bolters ' eat more cause their satiation signal is a certain time limit and they \eat more because they eat fast?before it kicks in to say they are full. . . Sooooo bolters need rocks in their food??? Having one, she does have rocks, but she will only eat sooo much beet pulp ,then leaves it. Laurie/Rascal/Honey/Scout