[RC] shock-collars for training/flames - A. Perez

 Using an electric dog-collar for correcting undesirable
behavior is any worse then using a crop: it is a negative
stimulous being used to discourage an unwanted behavior.  I use
an invisable fence for my dogs (similar to training collars) and
have felt the shock it delivers: not pleasent, but definately
not 'cruel and unusual punishment'.  Even Karen Pryor, doyen of
clicker training and positive reinforcement, admits that there
are times when correction is a quicker and easier approach to
stopping bad behavior then positive reinforcement.

 In a dog obediance class I once took, one of the first
exercise was to use the choke-chain hard enough to get your dog
to yelp.  The point was that you must be willing to administer a
correction strong enogh to get your dogs attention and to make
it listen, and how hard a yank is needed varies dramically from
dog to dog.  Once the dog knows you can and will deliver that
strong a correction, they do indeed pay attention, and that much
force will seldom be needed needed: but if tiny little tugs that
the dog can ignore are used, you will find yourself yanking your
arm off, and you just teach the dog to ignore you.

 One effective correction is far more humane then 20
ineffective ones.