From: Nik Isahak Abdullah [mailto:drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 8:54 PM
To: steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dato_kamaruddin@xxxxxxxxxxx; eqperform@xxxxxxx;
flyinghorses@xxxxxxxxxxxx; heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; hhaven88@xxxxxxxxx;
hilga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; hmlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Jaigoual@xxxxxxx;
j.joynes@xxxxxxxxxxx; Johanna.STRANG@xxxxxxxx; kalacsnyikov@xxxxxxxx;
m.stone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ghost_sweeper@xxxxxxxxx;
sophiedb@xxxxxx; toftendu@xxxxxxxxxx; uunikk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Ridecampers along I-80

Hi Steph,
There is a small
band of die-hard endurance enthusiasts in tropical Malaysia and I must say I
have been following the discussion on ridecamp since 1999 and continue to
enjoy pearl and gems from the likes of Truman Prevatt,Bob Morris{wow!I like
to meet this guy one day},Dr.Susan Garlinghouse and Tom Ivers{when he
chooses to occasionally decide to get beyond his 'verbal constipation'}.
America is a huge endurance country from the viewpoint of climactic
differences from up north like Montana and down south Miami.I wonder whether
you guys have rides in tropical America around temperatures above 90's and
humidity up near the ceiling.How do these 2 factors impact on the speed of
the 1st top 10 finishes?I am sure it is slow but how slow.?These similar
talented batch of riders and horses,ifthey were to compete in a 160km ride
in cool dry Montana{I am just assuming only,for I have never ridden in USA}
how wuold their ride statistics be?
The longest competitive ride we had here was during the South East Asian
Regional Games in 2001, the distance was 105km and this was truncated midway
 to 90km by a New Zealander FEI jury to 90km since many of the horses
developed metabolic problems mainly due to combined heat and humidity.Only 3
horses finished.The average speed of the winner was around 7mph{Elsie is
French with a high proportion of Arab}.My Jogho who is pure arab was a
distant 2nd.Our regular races is only around 80km and even now with more
competitive Australian arabs around that have acclimatised here over1 to 3
years our winners hardly go beyond 8mph.
My curiosity is relevent because at present FEI which I suspect is more Euro
and UAE centric has no clue so far to having any definitive prequalication
standards for riders and horses in the tropics.WE also want to get into 'the
thicks of things'like the World Equestrian Games and WEC's without
puncturing holes in our pockets riding other people's horses of dubious stae
of preparation and conditioning.I think you guys can help us here by giving
your feedbacks.For those DVM's sitting in the FEI technical committee ,I
wish to remind them that riding in the tropics is certainly not similar to
the so called speed race in the Dubai desertin the midst of winter.Heat
kills,and combination of heat and high humidity kill exponentially.Would
appreciate your feedback

Dr. Nik Isahak Wan Abdullah
drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Kuala Lumpur.