[RC] Kicking Problem - k s swigart

Debbie Lyons said:

>> Has anyone had any luck making horses stop kicking pasture mates? I have a 5 year old, very dominant mare, pastured with a very submissive gelding. They have plenty of room to roam and are the only company that each has. My mare kicks the crap out of this gelding, he never fights back, or even pins his ears. Her bad pasture behavior is spilling over into riding in spite of discipline her for it. Any suggestions aside from permanent separation? <<

No, to my knowledge there is no solution to this if they cannot come to an arrangement themselves.  I am assuming that it isn't because you are only putting out one pile of food (or anything else that both of them want/need) and you mare is unwilling to share.

Nor do you mention whether there are other horses in the group (and if so, what their behaviour with each other is), so I am assuming that there are no others.  If there are other horses, it is POSSIBLE, that one thing you might try is to take all of the other horses out so there is just the two of them, and your mare may decide that your gelding is better than nothing.

And I am assuming that this has been going on for more than about a month.  If it has been less than that, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to take the chances (they are substantial, not only do you risk serious injury to your gelding, you are also allowing your mare to establish a VERY unsavoury habbit that, by your own admission, is spilling over to her under saddle work) associated with hoping that they will eventually "work it out."

The problem is not that your gelding doesn't fight back (if he fought back that would probably cause bigger problems), the problem is that your gelding is not learning to stay away....and if there is just the two of them, it may be because he figures that getting the crap kicked out of his better than having no friends.  Unless, of course, he is trying to stay away from her, and she is actively pursuing him in order to kick the crap out of him and he just isn't quick enough to escape before she gets her licks in.

If this is the case, however, that is even more reason for separating them.

You could try stabling them next to each other for AT LEAST months, to see if they can come to an arrangement with a fence between them.

However, it is likely that even if they do "come to an arrangement" that neither of them will be particulary happy with the situation.  And if they do come to an arrangement together it will be because both of them have learned a lesson that _I_ wouldn't want to teach any of my horses.  Your mare would have learned that the way to deal with an irritant and/or to get her own way is to kick the crap out of it (not a lesson that I want any of MY horses to learn); and your gelding would have learned to give up because he can't succeed no matter how hard he tries (not a lesson that I want any of MY horses to learn).

kat
Orange County, Calif.