[RC] Eating Dirt - victoria a thompson

Ah dirt eaters, now we're talking about something I can relate to.  Taffy
loves that blue/black clay.

When I first got her umpteen million years ago the first thing she did
when put in our little turn out was walk around sniffing every nook and
cranny.  When she was satisfied with the inspection she walked to a back
corner, pawed a little at the ground and stuck her nose down and started
licking the dirt!  I was appalled.  I would chase her away from the
corner every time she went back there.  I covered the whole turn out with
6 inches of DG and she pawed through it to get to the clay.  I piled 10
pound rocks in the corner on top of the DG and she batted them aside like
marbles, dug through the DG and licked away.  I tried every supplement
people suggested to get her to stop, all to no avail.  I had been using
Source for a long time when I decided to try a different brand of
'basically the same thing'.  I started adding Kelpmate to her diet and
the dirt eating came to a grinding halt except for once or twice a year.
Once or twice a year I could live with.  She really enjoyed eating that
clay too.  Her tongue would get all black and her eyes would glass over
and droop and she'd stand there looking like a dog eating peanut butter.
She was in 7th heaven.  Then we moved to Norco.  Now she has a new love.
There is a patch of wet, mushy grass in front of Q's stall and she likes
to go there and rip up the grass and lick the black mud that's under the
grass.  After watching Q insist on eating Taffy's poop when we're on one
of our schleps I stopped having a hissy fit when she licks a little dirt.

Tori