Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:55 PM
Subject: [RC] heat rash

The last 3 summers I've developed a heat related rash on my legs when I ride more than 2 hrs.  It doesn't have to be hot, just happens around 70 or over.  In the winter I can ride all day with no problems.  The rash is mostly on my shins, not anywhere there would be rubbing from anything but my tights.

I've tried different fabrics (the cotton is better than lots of lycra, but still causes it), I use a natural detergent and hang dry my tights (no fabric softener) and have even started adding vinegar to the rinse to take the soap residue out.  No improvement.  I've tried using high socks and also bodyglide.  Still no improvement.  I'm not using lotion or sunscreen on my legs, either.

I've decided the only thing I can do is find something loose fitting to ride in, at least for training rides.  Otherwise I can't even wear shorts, I'm not easily embarrassed but it looks awful like a burn and lasts for days.  When its really bad it can be itchy, too.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding something other than rights that might work for me??

Thanks!
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ